Monday, June 20, 2016

Future Olympic Swimmer

Well today ranks in the top five best days of my life, thanks to a hometown boy you may have heard of named LeBron James. I've finally cried tears of JOY over an Ohio/Cleveland sports team and it is one of the best feelings ever. So much pride, and then to know I could share that with my favorite little Jumanji just makes it all the better. Colin has been a great luck charm for Chris & I; since he was conceived, Ohio State, Denver Broncos & now Cleveland Cavaliers have all won championships. Me thinks we should start buying lottery tickets...


A couple weeks ago was my Grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary - my goodness it is hard to believe two people can stand each other for that long but somehow they have it figured out! My mom wanted to make them a picture frame and asked us to send family pictures. We managed to capture some real life images at a local park. What would I do without these two dudes! 



Colin graduated into a new, big boy car seat! We could tell he was just outgrowing his baby car seat and we wanted to get one that he could grow into and use as a booster seat. Colin can now sit up and see more out the windows, which he loves, and he has much more leg room and space from side to side. He looks like such a little man now though, no longer a baby and it makes me feel a little sad.


Colin missed his swim lesson a couple weeks ago when he was sick, but he made up for lost time this weekend! You could tell he was ready to get in the pool and he was in a groove. Ms Diane had ALL kinds of new things for him to try too! He practiced falling into the water backwards and then back float, and to kick to the surface if he went underwater. At one point they got the kick boards out but my fishy wasn't having any of it - Chris told the instructor and she pulled him aside and told him that Colin is a total natural in the water, and he has strong instincts of what he needs to do. She said they try to follow a regiment, but if at any point Colin wants to do something different to go ahead and do it! Chris was so proud; he said he almost cried! It is so great to hear other people praise your kids! 



After Colin's lesson, we went over to our friend Josh's house to grill out and catch up for a bit. Lucky little dude got into the pool twice in one day as I took him while Chris & Josh grilled out. Josh's condo was new territory so Colin of course had to explore, and he seemed very interested in the guitar so Josh played for a bit. It was the stillest I have ever seen that child! He was just mesmerized and sat there in awe,...for about two minutes then it was on to smacking a plant or trying to figure out how to turn off the satellite box. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted...


Yesterday of course was Father's Day, Chris' first. We didn't really have much planned; it was supposed to be over 100 degrees so we were pretty limited in what we could do outside unless we wanted to die. My sisters in law took their kids to a splash pad area in Oklahoma and it looked so fun and I knew Colin would love something similar so I did my research and found a great place close to our house. It was $1 per person so what a steal! It was a really nice little park and very clean and not that many people. Unfortunately the water was very cold, and Colin just got too cold. He had a really good time playing, just got a tad chilly  Maybe as the summer goes on the water will get warmer because it was a cheap fun thing to do! 



Colin is still working on taking steps. He's pretty confident with that first one, but gets a little discouraged when he tries the second one. He can stand up on his own without pulling himself up which is great for his balance, and it is so cute to see his little baby body standing up so proud! I like to think he developed the necessary skills to stand because I let him help with the laundry.


He's always curious, so I try to show him new things all the time. It is so fun to see how he reacts to the simplest, most common objects. He LOVES dandelions so I always try to have him play with some on our walks. Colin also tries to get himself into new spaces, like behind the TV, under the patio furniture, and new spots in the closet. I love his curiosity but admittedly, I do lose track of him sometimes!


We noticed that he kept saying the same little phrase over and over - it sounded like "da kaw" and we figured he was actually saying either "that's good!" which is what I say all the time when he's eating or "that's cool!" which is what we say to distract him with a different toy when he's doing something dangerous. Whether he knows what he's saying or just parroting, of all the words that kid has heard (including lots of bad ones) I'm perfectly ok with his first words being "that's good" or "that's cool."

No comments:

Post a Comment