Monday, June 13, 2016

Baby's First Virus!

Unfortunately not too many pictures or videos to share this week because the little guy has his first virus! More on that later, but let's cover the beginning of the week first or this little rabid puppy will attack!


First, this last week was H.O.T. In Denver, the transition into summer is so quick - we will have a couple perfect 75 degree days and then all off a sudden you're checking to make sure your face hasn't melted off. Our a/c wasn't working (thus all the half naked pictures of little Colin) so we were roasting in the apartment until it was fixed. Some people may find this mean, but I discovered while growing my seedlings that Colin loves to be misted with water. If he sees the spray bottle he will get really excited and move over to it quickly and try to figure out how to make water come out. Given how hot it was outside and in the apartment, I figured we could have a little fun and cool off at the same time.



I had a dentist appointment on Wednesday evening so Chris was on watch for a bit. When I got home, Colin looked like he was really proud of himself. Chris showed me a video of this little monkey standing and taking his first step! I guess I didn't show as much excitement as Chris expected, but I was just dumbfounded. I had just gotten used to crawling; where can/can't he go, what can/can't he reach etc, and now I have to start all over again! Of course I'm not that selfish - I'm thrilled he's showing an interest in the next step (literally), but I am certainly not going to dangle food in front of his face to get him walking any faster!



Chris had mentioned he thought Colin was getting bored with his toys and we should think about getting new ones...SAY NO MORE, MOM IS ON IT. I feel like we have to keep cycling in new toys until Colin can walk/run - we are limited in what we can do to keep him entertained until we can wear him out at the park or on a walk or something similarly active. I ordered a pounding bench, some stacking toys, an activity table and my impulse purchase...Mr Broccoli, because hey, every kid needs a 20" stuffed broccoli to haunt his dreams keep him company. 


I have also noticed that sweet little Colin has learned to grab objects and tip them upside down to see if anything comes out - see below for details. I kept asking him who was going to clean up the mess but he just kind of looked and me and crawled off to find something else to destroy. 


Finally, the saddest part - baby has his first legit cold! I figured he'd had some sniffles and low grade fevers before, but this was the big one we'd be waiting for, but also dreading. Colin had been somewhat whiny on Friday but I chalked it up to all four of his top teeth coming in. We went to take him to his swim lesson on Saturday morning, and he cried through the whole thing; that's when we knew something was up. We decided to pull him out of the water early, and Ms Diane even said "Oh I hope he is okay, that is SO unlike him!" When he woke up from his nap he was on fire and I took his temp...102.6! He just wasn't himself, and so out of it; he just had a blank stare. The doctor at urgent care said it was something viral (no infection) so just to keep up with fluids and Tylenol for fever.

It was a scary weekend - we have never been through something like that before so we worried we were doing something wrong, or not doing enough to help him pull out of it. The worst feeling was seeing how sick he was and not his usual happy-go-lucky self. We kept a close eye on his temperature, and gave him Tylenol and let him sleep it off, and thank goodness, he seems to be on the mend today! Hasn't had Tylenol since 1am this morning. We are still going to keep an eye on him but hopefully we are out of the woods.

While this weekend was stressful and made me question myself and my instincts more than once, I am glad it happened. We got to see his immune system at work, and now know the signs of when he's really not feeling well. We learned what is normal and what isn't, and patience to just let the medicine/his immune system do their work. I'm also so much more thankful for every day he is not sick! Sweet little prince with the funky hair...glad to have you (almost) back.



No comments:

Post a Comment