We spent his first Thanksgiving with Chris' family in Oklahoma. It was his first big road trip and we were pretty nervous about how he'd do for long periods of time in the car seat because he's so active. We sure got lucky he slept the whole way, because the weather turned what is normally a 6 1/2 hour trip turned into 8 hours. Even on the the way back he slept the whole time so it wasn't a fluke! It certainly eases my mind a bit for our flight to Ohio for Christmas. (note, the picture below is not how he slept on the trip; I assure you he was safely secured!)
For those that do not know, Chris' side of the family had a deluge of babies this year. His sister has a 2 year old and a 7 month old, and his brother has a 5 month old, so there were lots of babies in the house! It was so interesting and fun to see them play together, and see the differences & similarities among the bunch. We are so fortunate and thankful they are all healthy and adorable! From left to right, you'll see Brooks (Chris' sister's baby; 7 months), Crew (Chris' brother's baby; 5 months) and of course our little star Colin on the far right (4 months).
So many toys at Grandma and Grandpa's house, and we found a sure favorite for this active little dude. I thought he would be just a tad too young for it given he's still a bit wobbly in terms of body control but we put him in that little bouncy toy and he was in heaven! So many lights, so many things that spin and make noise and don't forget a mirror to remind himself of how cute he is! He loved it so much his Aunt Crystal bought him one to take home - he is in his absolute element.
Colin eats 5oz of breastmilk every 3 hours, and sometimes he'll get hungry before the 3 hours comes along. Unless the baby has reflux, it is recommended to wait until four months for solids, and since I had an appointment for him on Dec 1st I was planning to wait to discuss with my doctor before giving him cereal. However, both sister-in-laws said he was likely ready for solids considering he was eating so much so often, so I thought we'd give it a try and see what happens. After all, I'd much rather have someone show me how to do it rather than have to Google it, which never ends well. Wouldn't you know, he not only loved it but ate the whole 2 tablespoons of rice cereal! After a few bites he was even grabbing towards the spoon like, "Hey, no, do not take that away! I am not finished!" Even though it doesn't have much to do with me, my eyes welled up with pride at how great he was eating and just to be able to witness yet another huge milestone. Needless to say cereal jumped to the top of our grocery list and will remain a staple for the next few months as we transition to mostly solids.
I'll certainly admit I'm not expert of the milestones of babies - all I can really do is follow what my pediatrician tells me. I'm fortunate enough to have two women I trust who have slightly older babies to ask advice and questions when needed. My mom is always my go-to, but things have changed so much from the 80s' until now that it is very helpful to have not one but two ladies to turn to. I was grateful for that during pregnancy and have no doubt that will continue until our babies have babies, which will certainly all happen in what feels like a blink.






No comments:
Post a Comment