The shortest month sure didn't have any shortage of activities! Chris was gone for 2 weeks this month on a work trip, and there were some trying times (thank goodness for wine) but we all survived. Over the next few months he'll be traveling for the same issues so if anyone knows any cheap but potent wines that don't give you a headache in the morning let me know.
I took the kids to downtown Grand Rapids one weekend to see some winter themed art installations around the city. I must say I fell in love right then and there with GR - it has a gorgeous riverwalk and is very walkable. Clean and for whatever reason, free parking! It felt nice to be in a big city, and I'll admit I miss it more than I realize.
Blair started dance class this month and so far she really enjoys it. Chris wants to burn the place down because they don't allow parents to watch the practices (even pre-COVID) as the parents are a distraction to the kids, especially younger ones. We are lucky to have a few dance friends who passed a few leotards to Blair, but I allowed her to pick one out herself and she picked a doozy - see if you can guess which one??
And you know we celebrated Valentine's Day! I've been getting vinyl tablecloths from Target or the Dollar Tree to make our dining room a little more festive and colorful. Sadly but understandably, Colin wasn't able to pass out or receive Valentine's in school this year, but luckily we have a group of friends who made some bags and exchanged among ourselves. Since Blair goes to a smaller preschool, she was able to do an exchange and was so excited! She gave each friend a container of playdoh, a paper heart she painted then a playdoh cookie she cut out herself. How cute!
Oh yeah and did I mention the kids got a giant tortilla blanket? Because they definitely did.
Colin hit a major milestone this month as well; lost his first tooth! It gives me the super willies to see loose teeth or teeth coming out of someone's mouth so of course his tooth was ready to come out when Chris was out of town. As hard as I tried I couldn't bring myself to pull it out so Colin FaceTimed Chris and gathered his courage and tugged it out! I never realized what a crazy ego boost that is for kids, he walked around with a strut for days afterwards.
As usual we tried to get out as much as possible - fresh air is free!
We had enough snow to make snow people, a three-way snow tunnel and some spooky creatures in our front yard this month too! Any chance we have to play in our yard I will take.
I took the kids to the beach before my birthday fully expecting there to BE a beach and I was wrong. There was a bunch of snow pushed up onshore and no sand so there was really no typical beach, but you know kids; they just had a great time playing and exploring.
Blair really likes hiking (or, in her reality, someone pulling her through a hiking trail on a sled) so she and I were able to do a few this month. Grandpa Doug came up to lessen the burden of Chris being gone, and he was able to see what a truly great "hiker" Blair is!
With vaccines for our teachers taking place this month it made us much more comfortable going out and playing with friends outside our usual group. And what do you get when it is winter in Michigan? More sledding!
Colin is just plugging right along in kindergarten. We got his assessments back recently and he is definitely math/science inclined, and he's above average in reading and phonics too, but I have noticed reading and sounding out words doesn't come as easily. I spoke to his teacher and she recommended a few easy reader books and he has really done an amazing job. I am really proud of how hard he's working and know he's gaining more and more confidence. The other night when I was telling him how proud I was of him, and how hard he's worked, he interrupted to ask "Mom, do you think our eyeballs would bounce like bouncy balls if we threw them on the floor?" Awkward.
Earlier this month (also, when Chris was out of town) Colin had a little spot on his arm that would not stop bleeding, even with pressure applied. We took him to the doctor and she said "Don't know, let's see how it heals." Well a few weeks later it was bigger and kept bleeding so I asked a friend's wife who is a pediatric dermatologist and she confirmed it was a pyogenic granuloma and had to be cut off! I was a little worried for my guy, he gets a bit anxious about shots and doctor visits, but man oh man was he brave. The doc numbed him up, cut it off then cauterized it and it was done! I won't be sad to see that thing gone. Also, do you like Dad's DIY bandage job?
Blair. Blair. Blair. What a beautiful little monster. She doesn't really have tantrums anymore - we just have to work on her tone because she yells and uses a stern voice more often than she really should. I have been working with her on when and how to use her words to express her feelings and I can see her thinking about and using them more often. In fact, the other day I told her to give Colin some space to do his homework and she replied "Whatever, I don't need you guys to have a good time."
Too, I've noticed that her kindness and empathy is growing. When I've worked in the classroom, I've seen her several times try to comfort an upset friend, or congratulate another when they do something, and shes really doing well at sharing. So, I guess she can be really mean, but it is all about balance.
The independent streak is fierce in this one. She likes to try and do things by herself which is an excellent trait, but when she is having difficulty she will scream, but if you try to help she will scream. I never really know what to do, so it usually ends up with lots of clothing on backwards (including underwear, which means a cute little cheek is always hanging out).
Never forget Carlo, and poor Fig, who got painted green this month.
No comments:
Post a Comment