Sunday, August 2, 2020

So Much July

YOU GUYS this was a busy busy month in the best ways possible. Family time abounded this month, and looking back on all my pictures I wonder how we fit it all into 31 days. 



Fourth of July is the new Christmas. We had an actual countdown going until "Fireworks Day" for Colin and it did not disappoint. There weren't any local fireworks, so many more of our neighbors were popping off their own this year. It was awesome!






Grandma & Grandpa! Our long awaited guests arrived in mid-July and we were SO happy to have them spend some excellent time with us. The kids really love the extra attention and we love the extra set of hands to help watch the spawns. We very much enjoyed having Chris' parents here this summer and cannot wait to see them (and alllllll the cousins) after Christmas this year. 


    Grandma & I took the kids to play in the water at the Nature Center - good thing Colin was there because     Saucy got stuck and he had to get her. 




    Colin got to break out his fishing pole a few times when Grandma & Grandpa were in town. He loses            interest relatively (especially since there is a playground nearby) but it was a great way to get out and            enjoy some fresh air as family. 






    It was peak blueberry picking, so we headed to a local farm to get our fill. It was perfect weather and            everyone had a fun time. 





    Beach Day! You know I love my beach days with the kids. We headed to Warren Dunes and enjoyed the     cooling waters of Lake Michigan before it got too crowded. Here is Blair judging everyone who isn't            social distancing. 


With COVID limiting the activities we can do, we have been outside A LOT this month. And thankfully there has been so much to do that we haven't really been bored. Even though this month was a real scorcher for Michigan, it was nice & dry so we could maximize outdoor fun. 

Just look at this sad, empty splash pad. 




The City of Kalamazoo opened a few fire hydrants to beat the summer heat. I'd always seen pictures of kids playing in hydrants and thought it would be fun to check out. Colin didn't hold back at all (he never does) and Blair was perfectly happy jumping in the puddles. 




The local parks & rec department hosted a sea serpent egg hunt so we checked it out. The sea serpent comes through Portage every summer and lays her molded & painted concrete eggs on the shores of local lakes. The kids enjoyed it and it was a reason to get outside. 




Beach Day at Van Buren State Park. Loved this beach! It was not crowded, the water was warmer than other Lake Michigan beaches and it had awesome rocks. 






Beach Day at Ft. Custer. GROSS! Huge fish swimming all around us freaking me out. Bonus: water was much warmer than Lake MI. 


Lavender Farm - awesome experience. We passed this on our way home from a hike and went back the next day. U-pick lavender with a gift shop and a free photo op? I'll take it. 






Tried backyard camping: fail. Blair wouldn't stop jumping on the air mattresses so she went inside around 930. Colin and I succeeded in falling asleep but woke up at midnight to a deflated air mattress (^see above for why the mattresses deflated). 



Family kayak trip! The verdict? At this moment in time Mom is the only one who enjoys kayaking, especially when there is a beach within site. 





On a whim I decided to take the kids on an adventure to a local creamery. I had been once before with Colin when he was young but wanted to take Miss Animal Lover as well since they have a petting zoo and dairy farm. Holy COW it did not disappoint - the kids (especially Blair) loved it. At one point she was just so overcome with happiness she put her hands over her mouth and squealed. Worth the 2hr total drive time. 















At the end of the month we were lucky to have our Ohio grandparents visit for a few days. We are always thankful to see our family and enjoy spending time together. We hit up a new favorite on my beach list, and a favorite walking path set inside a bog during their visit. Had a great time!












Playgrounds and hikes are always excellent options as well. Ones we take full advantage of. 















I did a few indoor activities towards the end of this month. I've been mentally preparing myself for the inevitable reality of some form of virtual learning this school year, so I wanted to break out and polish my indoor crafting game. 









Colin, my sweet boy. While we have been venturing out of the house, not a whole bunch of it consisted of us seeing friends. I can really tell it is taking a toll on this kid and it breaks my heart. He's turned inward and is quieter and a little more whiny, and seems to lose his patience quicker. It is hard because as a parent I can pack his days full of stuff to do and yet, what he really needs is social interaction with other kids his age. Don't get me wrong, the kid isn't inconsolable - just compared to his normal happy self I have definitely noticed a change this month. 




- Last year, Colin secretly planted bean seeds all around our yard and I found them everywhere! This year his seed of choice was 6 sunflower seeds in our front yard. You know, the ones that get up to 8ft tall. 

 

- I came inside one day to find butter on a pan and Colin scrambling eggs. "Well, Saucy wanted eggs and she's my sister so I'm making her eggs."



- Chris asked Colin why he drew these tick marks on the wall, and Colin replied with "Because I feel like my room is a jail." I asked him about it later and he assured me those were jail cell doors, not his way of keeping track of how long he's been in "jail"


Blair - woooooo child. I have been working with her a lot on using her words when she's feeling upset instead of screaming, and it was definitely paid off. I have also noticed her reasoning skills have improved, because she seems to comprehend what and why I am telling her things. Blair's speech & vocabulary are improving each day and she loves to do-it-herself. 





To hear her tell it, she has a tragic life rife with injury. To any person outside our immediate family, she will painstakingly recount all her injuries. And you have no choice but to hear it because she won't let you ignore her. 

Blair is also in the look-a-me phase. "Look-a-me Mom! I'm swimming!" "Look-a-me swinging Grandma!" "Look at my Earth Giant poop Grandpa!" And, as I said earlier, don't even think you can ignore her - not happening. 

NEVER forget, she loves her Carlo and Fig. 










No comments:

Post a Comment