Thursday, October 3, 2019

The Main Event

August was a super busy month, which caused me to lax on the blog, which in turn caused me to lax even more on the September blog since I hadn't done the August one yet! August was a great month; it kicked off with a BIG KID'S birthday and wrapped up with an awesome visit from family.

Colin turned four this month! It is funny how it seems as though four years is both young & old. He is young because he still possesses that curious & innocent nature, but is growing more independent every day with his own interests. Each day he needs me less and less, which ultimately is a great thing, but it is still allowed to sting a mother's heart a little bit. Colin woke up to a birthday surprise, and our family tradition continued with a donut for breakfast.




We invited some friends to a park around the corner to have some donuts and beat a pinata. It was perfect weather, and a fun group of friends. We were lucky to have everyone come to celebrate with us!




All summer long I had the dream of going camping - after camping in our backyard with Colin went so well I decided to just book it! We got to the campsite and everything was great. We set up while the kids played, got dinner going and made some s'mores. We went to the playground until it was time to go to sleep. Blair is a much better sleeper than Colin so I thought she'd be fine; boy was I wrong. It doesn't help that it takes forever to get dark, and once it did she fell asleep for a couple hours. Then she woke up and it was all over - she was just not having it. Around 2am Chris finally left to take her home.








The next morning Dad came back with McDs for breakfast! We packed everything up and headed down to check out the beach before heading home. The kids had fun but we were all ready to get back to modern conveniences!






One of Colin's friends gave him a chrysalis for his birthday and a few days into August the butterfly started to emerge. It was a really cool experience to watch and the kids were surprisingly gentle with the fledgling creature. It took a few hours to get its confidence up and then it was off. I was happy it didn't get gobbled up by a bird in front of the kiddos.






The rest of the month was relatively quiet, with no more big events, but we managed to stay busy with little get togethers and activities while summer was still here.

Visited a cool arboretum with our pals Lou & Eleanor





Went bowling with Lou & Eleanor (this was a disaster because it took a long time and there were arcade games right around the corner).



Dance party at a library



Hikes!


Farmer's Market



Another playground with Lou & Eleanor!



A few playgroups with preschool friends



Chris and his coworker made some awesome cornhole boards, but we couldn't decide if we wanted Broncos or Ohio State decals, so we decided we would just let the kids paint one in each team's colors. It turned out way better than we imagined and is a fun memory.




Colin's preschool had a movie night at the end of the month, sort of as a kick-off to school without it being school. It was cute but I knew Colin wouldn't last watching the whole movie with people around to pester.


We also found ways to entertain ourselves close to home.













And then it was the day we had all be waiting for. COUSINS! When Grandma Yvette visited back in May, she told the kids when she came back she would bring all the cousins with her. Finally the day came - Colin was just too excited but Blair was a little uneasy at first, but warmed up after 24hrs.


I don't even know where to begin with their visit because we accomplished so much in such a short time period. We stayed Saturday/Sunday/Monday at our house and Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday at a house we rented in South Haven. Fortune favored us that weekend because the weather was nice enough where the kids could be outside most of the time - my biggest concern was everyone being trapped in our not-so-big-house but it ended up working out really well. We had a total of 8 adults and 8 kids aged 5 & under and lots of little personalities, but it was so much fun.








 


We took lots of fun pictures of the groups of kids as well. My sisters-in-law are so much more diligent than I am about getting pictures and I'm so thankful for it because look at how cute these all turned out! A bunch of hams.








It is always hard to say goodbye, but it helps to know we will see everyone again around the holidays. There is so much preparation by everyone for these family vacations but it is so worth it to get to see everyone and watch them grow. We are looking forward to our next family adventure soon!



I know I typically do a little write up of each kid, but since it is now October and I can't differentiate between August/September, I'll save that part for the next blog. What I can tell you is that these two are growing every day and have shiny little personalities.
















No comments:

Post a Comment