Friday, October 4, 2019

Good Riddance Summer!

I hearken back to a time when all I wanted was sunshine and green and flowers and birds singing...and I'm over that now. I want school and cooler temps and candles and pants and long sleeves. And the cycle continues!

We had such a busy August I wanted to lay low with the kids since Colin started school mid-month. We still went out and did fun things; just no big traveling events. The kids still had fun and still got to meet up with friends, whether planned or not!

Library Dance Party!



Playdate/hike!

 



Dentist! It was Blair's first trip and I was nervous how she would handle it, but she did great! And both kids got A+ check ups as well.


Kids Museum


Another random library event


I signed Colin up for a running club every Sunday until mid-October. His age group runs 75m so it basically takes about 20 seconds, but he loves it! I also don't think he cares much about winning - he just runs and has a fun time. I told him that finishing is more important than winning, with the anecdote that I've run plenty of those races and never won!

 

 

We also joined a Little Adventurers group that goes on 2-3 hikes per month. I think Blair is a little young for most of them but Colin is the perfect age. We only did one (they are on hiatus until first frost due to mosquitoes) but the one we did join was fun!




To say I was excited for Colin to start school is an understatement, so when the time finally came I was surprised to find myself a little more sad than I thought I would be. Why? This is my last year where I'll still have him for half the day. Next year he'll be gone all day long! He of course loves to go and is always so happy to see new & old friends, which makes it easier for me. I'll enjoy my mornings with them both for now!



Later that same evening we had a fundraiser for Colin's school and Chris' favorite restaurant (Culver's). A group of parents decided to dedicate a kids table...and it turned out how we expected! But the kids were great and had fun and didn't make a huge terrible mess so...success!



We are still figuring out some sort of morning schedule for the days each week, so we have been experimenting with a few local activities. The real trick is deciding whether we need to pack a lunch and go right to school after, or whether we will have time to come home and shovel food into our faces before we have to leave again to drop Colin off at school. The kids have been enjoying trying new things as well!

Kalamazoo playgroup (we go for the diversity) - locked in for Mondays


Toddler Yoga - no go


Nature Center Preschool Explorers - locked in for Tuesdays

 






SkyZone - I'd go broke



Storytime Dance - TBD



Library storytime - definitely not, my kids don't sit still for them


By the end of September I had fully embraced fall, so I took the kids to a plant nursery by our place for their fall festival and man, it did not disappoint! For $6 the kids got to pet some farm animals, play in a corn bin, bouncy house, swing on some rope horses, etc. And for the grand finale - $1 per pumpkin in the trebuchet! It was so much fun to watch the kids watch the pumpkins launch, and what a cool job for the guys who run it!




And onto the goobers...

Colin was very tough for me during the months of August/September, to the point where it made me question whether I was parenting well enough for him. It seemed almost like he was regressing back to hitting, and sticking his tongue out, and just being generally unpleasant. For awhile I didn't want to take him to playgroups because I didn't want to deal with the fallout of his actions. I kept hoping that once he started school he would hear from someone other than his parents that his actions were not cool and stop, but the first 10 days of school he: 1) peed on the playground at school and inadvertently peed on another little girl's leg 2) gave too many unwanted hugs & kisses to a classmate's younger sibling and 3) poked another boy in the eye with a stick. Since then he's been much better and we can tell he's getting better but he still does annoying things (like talk back) but I don't think that will ever change!




On a positive note, Colin is really becoming more & more independent, and we are doing our best to encourage it. It is really cool to watch your kid handle themselves in the world and do their jobs. He's also becoming more aware of the kids around him and can offer help if they need it, or a warning to others that there is a young kid around. I am excited to see how he continues to grow & mature!




And Blair - sheesh. If it wasn't her brother keeping us from going places it was her wake-the-dead scream. She went through a very tough phase this month as well where she would throw the nastiest tantrums if she didn't get her way. And I mean nasty. Throw herself on the floor, scream, cry and hit fits. It was awful, and I am so thankful it only last 2-3 weeks because she's much better..for now. These days we are venturing into the land "MINE!" and learning to take turns. Keep me in your thoughts!



This girl is so talkative these days. You can ask her "Can you say '_____'?" and she will almost always repeat what you say, or at least try. And what is super cool, is that other people can understand her really well! Blair is also getting to the "help" phase. If I am cooking or baking in the kitchen she will scoot a chair over to watch, or if I am cleaning up a mess, she will help. I can remember Colin being in that phase as well, and I'll take the help as long as I can!



 

Life goes on. I'm still so thankful that I get to live this life with them and see them change and grow, though the ugly phases are not as fun. But the sour is what makes the sweet so much sweeter! Or so they say.



No comments:

Post a Comment