Thursday, March 1, 2018

It's all a Blur!

When babies are less than a year old, I think every week they are alive should be celebrated as an accomplishment, not only for the baby but for everyone in the household. It is a group effort and each person plays their role. So we have successfully made it to one month with little Blair and everyone is rejoicing. For her each of her monthly pictures, I want to be sure to take some of just her, and some of she & Colin. He loves her so much, and I want him to feel included as well. Not to mention, it makes for interesting photos.




Including holiday photos for each month.

 


Colin got to make some Valentine's Day cards for family this year! We made sure to get stickers and he drew something special on each one. He put the stamps on the envelopes and was even tall enough to put them in the mailbox!




I have given up telling Colin to give Blair space because it just isn't going to happen. He loves her so much, and always wants to be around her when she's awake. He will even try to keep her awake to play with her - so that's fun for me. But I try to keep the big picture in mind - that he just loves her! Colin will tell her "I love you!" and calls her "my best buddy." He will also pretend to tell her secrets, and pretends she tells him one back. If Blair starts to fuss and I'm not able to get to her (think: I'm chopping onions) he will run to her and say "It's okay baby sister, mom is coming" and pat her head. Colin is always hugging and kissing and talking and playing with her and it is enough to make my heart melt. I can only hope it lasts forever!







Colin had lots of his usual adventures again this month. We had a few storms drop over a foot of snow so he was able to get outside and enjoy. He never seems to mind the cold or inclimate weather - it makes me think of a phrase the Swedes have: "There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." We had lots of adventures this month:

I had him paint some monsters I drew on cardboard boxes, then I tied them up around the yard and had him shoot them with a mini Nerf gun. I also taught him the phrase "Take no prisoners!!"





I carved pathways in our backyard and made some forts out of boxes. We fortified them with sticks and icicles. Unfortunately he just wanted to beat the snow with a stick.



Chris and Colin carved a snow tunnel out of the mound of snow in our front yard.




On a warm rainy day, he asked all morning to play in the rain, so I obliged. He was totally soaked, and his pants were down around the top of his boots! When he finally came inside he said "Mom help me, I'm soaking wet!"



The Home Depot workshop - a Valentine's Day cornhole set.


And other random adventures!











I am still committed to making sure he has plenty of indoor activities as well - even if it is something as small as making green eggs & ham, it still gives him attention and mom & son time. Does it mean more clean up for me? Sometimes. Do I have to put chores on hold to do them? Usually. But so much of my time is dedicated to household activities and Blair that I want to show him the attention he deserves, because he has been so awesome since his little sister came into the world.

 Arts & Crafts fun!



 Making a vortex, and playing "sink or float." Each week I am trying to find a new experiment to try with Colin.

The aftermath of sink or float:

Being silly. 





 Stealing my kale chips!

Colin got a note from Captain Underpants telling him to suit up because he needed his help to fight bad guys, monsters, spiders & dinosaurs (all things he tells me he's scared of before he goes to sleep).



Other special stuff just for Colin:


Colin had his first dentist appointment this month as well! It was long overdue, but I wanted to make sure we were settled so we could stay with the same dentist. He was pretty excited, and he did a great job! He has all of his baby teeth, and the dentist said he's doing excellent brushing and flossing. Such a funny, brave kid!


We had some adult appointments this month, so my parents came to visit for a long weekend to add some extra hands. Chris & my dad got things done around the house, and Colin & Blair got to be spoiled rotten. Grandparents just think grandkids are the greatest things, even when they do the most annoying and devilish things.



And my sweet Blair. She is such an awesome, easy-going baby, and thank goodness for it! I see so many of Chris' personality traits in her - she only needs the essentials (food, sleep, dry) and loves to just hang out. She is super smiley, and will have conversations with you filled with gurgles and coos and even some happy screams. We transitioned her into her crib and she sleeps really well, and is even starting to fall asleep in the crib on her own! Blair is perfectly happy just relaxing on her playmat, or in her chair just checking everything out. I look back at the pictures from the last blog and just think about how much Blair has grown and changed and it makes me so happy & sad! I'm especially emotional with her since she's our last baby, but it is the right decision for our family.




You know she's out when she starts with the thriller hands. Sometimes her arm goes out to the side and Chris calls her "Christ the Redeemer."













Blair had a terrible bit of baby acne and it make me so heartsick to see her with it. I know it didn't hurt her (though it did itch) but I just felt so badly for her! Luckily it cleared up after about a week or so, but she does still have some dry/sensitive skin. I'll chalk it up to it being winter!


Some fun anecdotes from this month.

Colin put a sticker in his sister's hair. I had to cut it out, and will keep it in her memory book as her first haircut.


Colin likes to "pay bills." He will either use the computer or grab our actual bills and draw on them - I wish he had money to pay them for us!


We let Colin read in his room alone now before bed, and it has carried over into his naps. I'll often find him asleep with books all over his bed.


Colin is in the habit of saying "I'm not xxxxx, I'm Colin!" So if you say "Colin, you are crazy!" He will say, "I'm not crazy, I'm Colin!" Or, "You little monkey!" "I'm not a monkey, I'm Colin!"



No comments:

Post a Comment