Baby Blair finally decided to make her debut! Just like her big brother, who came on a Blue Moon, Blair Nicole made her grand entrance on the Wolf Moon. I started feeling erratic contractions during the evening of Jan 1st, and told Chris he should collect himself because it may be soon. I slept from about 10pm-12am and that's when the action started. My contractions were coming hard and fast - by 2:30am they were 3mins apart and lasting about 45-60 seconds. We checked into the hospital at 3:30am, and I was dilated to 7cm. By the time we got to a room I was at 8cm, and things were moving so quickly I decided against an epidural. With Colin, my epidural kept my legs numb for at least 12hrs after he was born - that coupled with the dizziness and (almost) fainting spell I had after birth, I really didn't want an epidural with Blair. They did give me pain meds to take the edge off, but it seems all that did was speed up the process! I pushed for 6mins and little miss made her debut on Jan 2nd at 5:30am, measuring 21" and weighing 8lbs 7.7oz.


My 97 year old Grandma wishing us well <3
My mom drove up as soon as she found out I was in labor, which was a huge relief because she was on Colin duty. He stayed with nurses during the birthing process (thank goodness, no kid needs to see that) but he was so tired yet restless after she was born we really needed some respite. I was (and continue to be) amazed at how much different the healing process was between Colin and Blair. Those 6mins of pushing were pure hell on earth, but I was able to get up and move around with little to no discomfort right after she was born. I'm not 100% sure whether I'd go au naturale again - and I won't have to since we're donezo - but the long term benefits seem to outweigh the short term out-of-body pain.






We were both anxious to get home to relieve my mom a bit, and of course to see Colin. We knew it would be a tough transition for him and didn't want to leave him without us too long, so once we were cleared to come homewe did! Colin has been so sweet with her from the very beginning - he's so proud of his "little sweetie" and takes such an interest in her and what she's doing. He will help me out - when he's in the mood - and will talk to her and give her the pacifier to calm her down. I had her in the carseat the other day while I cooked and Blair started sounding off. Colin came over, gave her the pacifier, rocked the carseat and said "Don't worry baby sister, mom is almost done" then said & did the hand motions for "I love you." My heart exploded out of my body just then.









I had always planned to lay low for the first 4-6 weeks, but the pediatrician strongly recommended staying close to home because RSV is rampant and the flu is especially terrible this year. We all had our flu shots, but little B obviously can't get hers and she's the most susceptible. We've had some warm days (for January in Michigan) so we have gotten outside a couple times for walks and playground times, but for the most part we've been cooped up inside. I absolutely hate it and it is driving me crazy and I cannot wait to get back out and start doing all our fun stuff again!







Colin has overall done really well over the last 4 weeks. I know it is a transition for him, not only with the addition of Blair but also with the change in activity level. Unfortunately he's regressed a bit with potty training - he would go pee on the toilet each time, but now we're lucky if he goes once. Sadly, he has also taken a disgusting interest in playing with his poop. He has good days and bad days, and I try very hard to keep him entertained without just sitting him in front of the TV. I feel like such a crap parent plopping him down to watch "Captain Underpants" for the 80th time, but the first few weeks are truly survival mode with a newborn. I have to remind myself it is only temporary, and once little sister is a bit older and stronger we'll go back into the wide world of fun.

















It has been so fun to watch how Blair has changed in the last month. In the hospital, she refused to stay in the bassinet for longer than a few minutes, so Chris and I had to do split shifts holding her and letting her sleep. We hoped that sending her to the nursery would help her appreciate the bassinet and allow us to sleep, but the nurses said she just cried until someone picked her up. Unfortunately that trend continued once we got home; the first week or so Chris and I continued to split shifts staying awake while she slept since Blair refused the bassinet. Talk about awful, and also mildly dangerous - being that tired is when accidents happen. Luckily, she's gotten much better - at the moment she wakes up twice per night for feeding, and sleeps well in the bassinet. During the day she is tough - she takes a very long time to fall into a deep enough sleep where we can put her in the bassinet, and even then she sometimes wakes herself up. Some days, she'll only stay in the bassinet long enough for me to pee, or switch laundry, or make Colin lunch. It is maddening, but I try to remind myself that Blair is my last newborn baby, and I will someday miss those little snuggles.
















Blair is starting to get a little personality! Much like Colin, Blair enjoys lounging on the floor or couch looking around at everything - her current favorite thing to look at is the ceiling fan or her big brother. She has started making cooing noises, and has a funny little expression that I know is the beginning of a smile. And sheesh - let's talk about that hair!! It stands straight up and there's no setting it down. As soon as it dries after a bath is is back up again! It is funny but she looks so silly sometimes - I tell Chris she looks like a fancy chicken.






As for Chris and I, we are surviving. I try to go into each day without expectations which makes it easier when the unexpected happens. I am thankful for each morning I can get clean clothes on, and my only goal for each day is to have them both dressed & out of PJs by 9am. Each day it is a challenge to decide which is more difficult - the toddler or the newborn - and as you can imagine it varies constantly. I remind myself ad nauseum to appreciate/love/take memories of the best moments because they are so fleeting, and I know someday I'll remember only those best moments I tucked away and miss them terribly. But now, in the trenches, even though you know eventually it gets better, it can be so tough. We have so much we're thankful for though, and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment