Thursday, December 1, 2016

Time both Flies & Creeps

I was going through my mental checklist and woefully realized that I hadn't started the blog yet for November! This month was especially eventful which made it go really quickly, but when you stop and think back about everything that happened in the last 4 weeks it seems like a long time ago! Enough philosophizing, let's get into it.


Let's see, Cleveland lost the World Series - major bummer! I have to admit I despise baseball, but I love Cleveland and knew what it would mean for the city to win it all, but if you have to lose I'd much rather it be to a team like Chicago than a dynasty team.


I actually had some kind of wretched stomach virus the first weekend in November - I won't get into details, but it was not my finest 36 hours. And what made it all worse was that my baby Colin got it also! He woke up in the middle of the night and had thrown up all over himself and the crib - poor baby looked so sick and confused! I felt so guilty that I'd given it to him, but I couldn't focus on how my feelings because we needed to make sure he was okay. It was awful to see him throw up like that and not be able to explain why it was happening - all we could do is just sit with him and try to make him as comfortable as possible. Luckily it ran its course through his tiny body much quicker than mine and Colin was better within 24 hours. What a relief that was.

Let's see - a monster was elected president, but that's not something to go in-depth on the blog.


The following weekend we headed to Oklahoma to visit Chris' family which was long overdue as we hadn't seen the all cousins since Memorial Day, and hadn't met the newest cousin, Miss Hazel! The kids are all so close in age it is really fun to see how similar and different they are, and see how their personalities interact with each other.






Chris' mom scheduled some family pictures, which was also long overdue for us...and by overdue I mean we've never had any taken since Colin was born! With that many kids you'd expect it to be so chaotic but it actually went really quickly and the pictures turned out great - but honestly, how could you expect anything different with all these cuties?!







The weather is definitely cooling down, which is a welcome change for me - I love experiencing the seasons! It was also a jump start for me to get Colin a winter jacket and boots so we can continue to go outside. Getting his jacket, hat & mittens on, then getting the dog, then getting myself ready is quite the challenge but it is still really important we get outside as much as we can. One day though, it was so cold and windy (and I hadn't received his winter jacket yet) that Colin just stood there, took a few steps and sat down - "Not happening today mom!"













Colder weather also signals illness! Colin had a fever for a couple days, but handled it like a champ. Unfortunately I think it turned into croup - he refused to eat solid foods and would wake up multiple times throughout the night. At first I thought it was teething but after a little more research, I settled on croup as the likely suspect. So we got some Vick's, honey & lemon water and the humidifier going and kicked that nasty croup!


Unfortunately for us, the timing of Colin's cold was right over Thanksgiving. We had planned to drive to Des Moines to visit my mom's side of the family, but Colin hates being in the carseat in general, and a 10 hour drive suddenly seemed like eternity with a sick kid. It was with a sad & heavy heart we had to cancel the trip out. It may have worked out for the best, because the three of us got to spend some quality time together before absolute chaos ensues during December. Chris' longtime friend ended up coming over for Thanksgiving, and it is always great seeing him!



We all caught the holiday season bug (even my husband!) so we took Colin to see some lights at a local garden. It was so amazing! They did a great job of making it interactive for kids, with a train station, Santa and warming huts so you didn't feel like you were just walking around, freezing your butt off, looking at lights. And true to form, Colin was baited by all the visual stimulus - he loved it! He was still getting over his cold but you wouldn't have guessed it by how he was acting - loving every minute of it, until we met Santa. Poor guy just looked around suspiciously but didn't throw a fit, which is the bright side. It takes a bit to warm up to Ol' St. Nick! Here's the link if anyone local is interested (http://www.hudsongardens.org/home)






We have so much to be thankful for in the present and so much to look forward to in the future. The next few weeks are going to very chaotic for us as we close out the 2016 year, but there is so much possibility and growth on the horizon we're really looking forward to it, and can't wait to share our adventures again next month!











































No comments:

Post a Comment