Colin is still just growing like a weed and exploring! Whereas before I would make sure to take him to the park and/or playground at least twice a day, it is becoming so we need to take him so he can get rid of all his energy, or else he gets into mischief.
Taking Colin to the playground has really increased his physical abilities, as well as his daredevil tendencies. Colin can go up and down the steps standing up (as along as there is a railing and he doesn't have chalk in his hands) and his most recent trick is that he can go down the slide by himself without any help getting started or when he reaches the end. The first time he wanted to do it alone I was so nervous, but that little nugget just climbed up the steps, sat his butt down, and scooted himself down that tall curly slide, all with a shit-eating grin on his face. It was one of those moments when you realize your child is really growing up, and you can see previews of what life will be like with them.
I've been taking him hiking, though not as much as I'd like to. My excuse is that he's too heavy to put in a carrier and the trails are still a little too rocky. We do try to get out and about as much as possible though; whatever I can do to exasperate his energy tank is great, though I am often unsuccessful. Typically just being outside really helps because he's so curious about everything!
I was dying to take him to a Fall Festival - you know, with a corn maze and tractor rides and all kinds of fall-ish stuff. We headed down to the Botanical Gardens south of the city to check out what they had to offer. It was opening weekend during a Broncos game, so it was low key and not at all crowded. We did a horse-drawn hayride, a tractor barrel ride (which he LOVED - he was actually screaming and laughing the driver had to stop and turn around to make sure he was okay!) and walked through a corn maze. It was a nice way to spend a fall afternoon and I had the best company!
One of the last things on my sister's wedding to-do list was find a dress, and it was really important to her (and me) that I be with her while she tried them on; let's just say I have a knack for honesty. So, Colin and I flew out to Ohio in the beginning of October for a few days to visit and try on some dresses. I was pretty anxious about flying alone with Colin because he was a total nightmare when we went back for his birthday in August - needless to say he lived up to my anxiety. Colin absolutely detests being restrained or sitting still (always has) and to voice his displeasure, he decided to let out dozens of high pitched screams. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I come prepared, but I quickly ran out of toys, games & videos on my phone and when that happens, all you can do is just hope time goes by quickly. Calm before the storm here...
As fate would have it, she ended up picking the first dress she tried on at the first store we went to and might I add, it is perfect. Here we are celebrating!
Once we had the business taken care of, it was all fun & games after that in the CLE. We went to a Fall Festival at a nearby fruit farm and it was so much fun, even for adults! They had tractor rides, a hay bale pit, a corn maze, a treehouse - all kinds of stuff. It was a great way to kill a few hours with a very active little one!
We also made some time to visit a nearby nature center and do a little hike. There was a weird animatronic bear in the nature center that moved its head from side to side, and Colin just couldn't get enough of it. Even when we tried to distract him with other displays, he just wanted to get back to that bear!
I was wrong to hope that Colin would be better on the return flight, but instead he was almost worse. Instead of screaming, this time Colin just whined and cried the whole time, which is what everyone wants to hear on a plane. The blessing on the return trip is that I sat next to a very patient man who was so understanding. It always helps make it easier for stressed moms or dads when you have a decent human being sharing your small space, so keep that in mind people! Be kind! Because as annoyed as you may be at what the baby/child is doing, that poor woman or man is doing everything possible to hold it together.
We went to a pumpkin patch in Boulder, and it was quite different from the one in CLE. It was so hot (almost 90 degrees), with no shade and not much to do. What made it worse was that it was an hour away from our apartment! But, you play the hand you're dealt, and we made the most of it, and Colin was just as happy as he always is to be on a new adventure!
Chris had to travel out of state three times this month for job interviews! It is great he's getting so much interest and it makes us feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel ("and it isn't a train!" as his mom says). Still, that many 2 day turnaround trips are tough on him, so on one trip I took Colin into the airport to wait for him. I'm sure it made Chris' heart full to see that little face after a long, short trip.
Since Chris was traveling so often I had the car, and was able to expand our radius on parks and playgrounds to enjoy. There are a few parks that have lakes with running paths and playgrounds, which suits both of our needs. I get a run in, and he gets to release his energy on the playground afterwards. Colin really seems to enjoy it, and I do too - something about exercise in the fresh air just makes you feel better!
Colin is continuing to enjoy his swimming lessons every Saturday and man alive he has been absolutely killing it!! Chris has been moved almost to tears several times because he's just so proud of the amazing progress Colin has made and what he's been able to accomplish. Chris will hold Colin's belly and back so Colin is horizontal in the pool and he will move his arms and kick his legs! He's just so ready to swim by himself. His most recent advancement has been to kick himself to the surface! It is incredible to think a kid that young a) has the instinct to do that and b) that he's physically able to do it, but sure enough, Colin defies the odds and pushes his way up! It is a proud parenting moment for sure, but it also gives a little peace of mind in case (God forbid) he ever falls into water accidentally, we know he can buy us some time to get to him.
Oh...and lastly, Halloween. I was so curious what he would think of pumpkin carving since he seems to love anything that gets him filthy, crusty and/or sticky (which is why he's in a diaper only). At first Colin seemed a little reserved, unsure what he was supposed to do, but once he discovered the cool sound the pumpkin guts made on the floor it was just as I suspected.
I had planned for Colin to be Frankenstein because he has kind of a square head and sometimes walks with his arms out. Chris wasn't a huge fan of putting facepaint on him, which I totally agreed with, but I also knew he wouldn't keep any mask on his face. So, onto Plan B! I did some research and saw an adorable DIY fish costume and thought "Ok, now I can work with that!" Like 99% of the crafting projects I start, I went into this one thinking it would be easy and so cute and he'd love it, but after cutting over 100 three different size pieces from four different fabrics I really had to get my mind right and focus on the prize; because next I had to pin every scale onto the body piece, then glue down the pieces to lay flat! I'd say I roughly have about 5 hours of work into this damn thing, but MAN! is it worth it to see how cool he thinks he is in that costume.
There are times when I feel braggadocios in these posts, but I love the age that Colin is at - every day is a new adventure and he is always surprising me! He is learning new words (dog, book, ball) and observing things that are new to him (birds, the moon, airplanes, pumpkins). Colin has always been curious but he is growing smarter every day, and just being generally awesome. I would be happy to share all the moments where he makes me want to rip out my hair or scream or punch something, but why? Any parent or person who has spent an iota of time around young kids know crazy, WTF moments happen all the time, but if you focus on the great moments, those are the memories you'll keep and take with you as time passes by all too quickly.

































































No comments:
Post a Comment