Monday, August 1, 2016

We Made It: One Year!

Colin is officially one year old, and you readers are in for a real treat - this blog is going to be extra long and deservedly so! I feel like your support throughout the last year with comments, likes and friendly reminders has really kept me going and I am beyond thrilled I was able to keep up with it on a weekly basis. I'm also so happy to have shared his first year with all of you - it will be such a great thing to look back on once he's older, and a stellar reference to look back on when we decide to finally get going on baby #2.

Folks, it has been a busy week for the three of us. I was lucky enough to be able to share his birthday in Ohio. We typically come out only once a year so I love that it was for such an important event. We arrived on Wednesday evening and are heading out tomorrow. It was the first time Chris and I have been to Ohio in the summer, so our schedule was packed! I'm going to try to simplify our adventures as much as possible, but it is a lot...


A two hour time change doesn't really affect us anymore but Colin had a rough time so we wanted to take day one easy, knowing how much we had on the agenda in the days ahead. Thursday we headed to the playground in the morning, and then just hung around to make sure Colin had some rest. However, if you've been keeping up with the blog, you know Colin is a little busy body so we had to entertain him somehow.



Friday morning my Dad, Chris and my sister's boyfriend Kyle went golfing while my mom, sister and I got the finishing touches for his party. After Colin woke up from his nap and the men got home, we headed down to see my grandma, who is currently in an assisted living facility. She is 95 years old and wheelchair bound, so I was a bit nervous about Colin being scared or apprehensive about approaching her...but nope. My sweet little dude just walked up to her and tried to climb up on her lap, and when he realized he couldn't he instead just played with her toes. I know she enjoyed that so much - all grandparents have a special place in a grandchild's heart and to see your child interact with them is really something and I feel fortunate to have had that opportunity.

I hadn't been to downtown Cleveland in such a long time, and I really wanted to stroll around since it was in top notch shape after the Republican National Convention, so we headed that way on Saturday morning. Wow! There was so much going on and it was awesome. I wanted to create a collage of Cleveland landmarks so we got some pictures in front of the sports stadiums and other 'touristy' sights. I felt so much pride to be sharing that day with my Dad and sister, and my favorite big guy Chris and my favorite little guy Colin. We were also fortunate enough to stumble across a colorful, creepy little outdoor play installation at the Science Museum.


 

 
















My sister and her boyfriend Kyle wanted to have us over for dinner on Saturday evening. Colin was pretty wiped out and was sleeping when we arrived so I sat in the car with him to get his some extra zzz's. Chris came out and told me that I should go inside, and was pretty insistent about it. I walked in and saw my sister had been crying and I immediately went into big sister mode "whodidthistoher!!!!" and turns out - Stephanie got engaged! Kyle had contacted me in May about ring sizes and types, so I knew it was coming, but what a joyous moment. I was thrilled to be able to share it with her in person. Lots of inspiration boards are in our future.


Sunday was the big day! I've never really been a big party person - I never had a sweet sixteen, high school graduation party, didn't walk at my college graduation, no engagement or wedding shindigs so this was my first big event. I wanted it to go so well for Colin; even though I knew he wouldn't remember it, the first birthday is such a enormous milestone for so many reasons and I wanted everything perfect. So - out came the Type A personality. I'm sure I drove my family and Chris nuts doing the set-up but as you'll see from the pictures below it was well worth it. I was overwhelmed with the number of people who came to celebrate our child and his jump further away from babyhood. It was a very emotional day for everyone who came.


 











Along came today (Monday) his actual birthday. I thought I would be a lot more emotional but I think I ran out during the big party. We took the morning pretty easy and went over to a local park to just tire him out a bit for his nap. Once he woke up, we headed over to Lake Erie. And I know what some of you are thinking about Lake Erie but it has really changed from what it used to be. So beautiful and clean and it was so much clearer than I remember from when I was younger. Colin was a bit overwhelmed at first, with the water and the waves and the sand and the rocks, but he took to it right away. No surprise there!




We head back to Colorado tomorrow. It is wonderful to visit but continues to get harder and harder to say goodbye. The worst part at this point is that we don't know when we will see the Ohio family again. We'll just have to make a commitment to come visit more often, even if it is just me and Colin, because it is so important for Colin to know family. So, as always, thank you for your hospitality Ohio. I will forever speak of you fondly, filled with love, pride and so many memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment