I came across a quote this week that I really liked and thought was accurate.
When it comes to parenting, we control the lessons but the children control the classroom.
It may not be totally accurate for me at this point because I still have a non-verbal little monkey who doesn't understand simple commands yet, but nonetheless I committed it to memory because I'm sure there will be many times down the line when it will become my mantra. I'm not the most fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants person, but I do consider myself pretty instinctual. I've always done better with structure and plans and schedules, but I have learned to listen to Colin's cues and move forward accordingly. That's all we can really do as parents - just react to what our kids are learning, showing & telling us and do our best to impart our life's wisdom onto them.
Colin is growing so much so fast! We weighed him the other day and he's around 18 lbs, which is +2lbs from his 6 month appointment on the 8th! We are still feeding him bottles, and I am still making baby food. I made a big match yesterday of peaches, pears, apples, squash and carrots - typically will last about two weeks. I love making the food he eats but it is pretty labor intensive, especially since we've been stuffing his face all month. One fun thing we're also doing is experimenting with spices - our pediatrician says he needs to eat cereal at least twice a day and that stuff is SO bland! So far I've added cinnamon, cumin & paprika to his cereal to liven it up. I'm going to try to remember nutmeg & vanilla beans next time we're at the store. Hopefully he'll have an adventurous palate!
My 31st birthday was on Saturday! It really wasn't unlike any other day - I took the baby for a hike at a little park close to our house. It was a beautiful day, but it was a little snowy & icy on the trail. I've planned the last couple hikes so that Colin can have a bottle once we get to the trail. It helps keep him from being hungry on the hike, and I love feeding him outside in nature. We found a nice little bench right by a bend in the creek, so we listened to the water rushing while he enjoyed his lunch.
After the hike, the three of us went down to an outlet mall to do a little grazing. How typical that the baby and the husband both got something but the birthday girl didn't get anything! Truth be told, I'm not a big shopper, so after looking & buying for the two of them I was done. Plus, hiking in snow and ice can take a toll on the gams, so I was happy when we headed home. So was Colin!
In an effort to find some more activities for him to do - I came across an edible, homemade paint recipe. It is equal parts water & flour, then you just add food coloring. It was so easy, and I wasn't worrying about him eating it - plus it doesn't stain!! I set him up with newspaper all around his high chair, and had a bath all ready to go for when he was finished. At first, he just stuck his hands in the paint and squeezed (after putting it in his mouth of course) and looked at me like, "Is it okay I am doing this?" He seemed a little hesitant, and I think he was pretty tired so he didn't get as into it as I thought he would. We'll have to try another time - our fridge needs some artwork!
*Note - he has his socks on in the tub because he went right in after painting and I didn't take them off beforehand.
Colin turns 7 months tomorrow - I cannot believe how time flies. I was talking to my sister-in-law about how bittersweet it is to see them grow. On one hand you're happy & thrilled that they are progressing and your hard work is paying off, but to remember the days when he was so little and helpless tugs at the heart strings a bit. I can only imagine how my parents and grandparents feel! So many good memories, with more surely to come.







No comments:
Post a Comment