If our February could be summed up in three words for us, it'd be: outdoor snowy adventure! I know from last year that really getting ahead in the winter makes a big difference in getting the 1000 hours, so I try to get them outside for at least an hour a day. It doesn't sound like much, but in snowy weather, sometimes you can only do so much!
From snowy flashlight walks, to sledding, to hiking with friends, we packed February full of adventures for the kids.
I heard people had great luck with snow volcanoes, and since Blair loves natural disasters, we had to try one! It actually did not disappoint, and when the kids wanted more but I was out of vinegar...Dad headed to the gas station to get Mentos and Coke! That wasn't as fun, but the kids had a great time picking the Mentos out of the snow and eating the Coke flavored snow.
We had a great visit from Grandma Carrot and Grandpotato this month as well - the kids just happened to have a 4 day weekend over my birthday so it seemed like a perfect time to come up. It also gave Chris and I a chance to sneak out for some much needed adult time. When we got home, boy was I overwhelmed with what I saw! And inside, two very excited kiddos reminding me it was my birthday! Very special shout-out to Grandma Carrot because I KNOW my kids did not do all that cutting (in fact, Colin used googly eyes in the middle of "mom" to avoid cutting it out).
Colin loves reading, and Blair loves interrupting people who are reading, so naturally they make a great pair! I've caught them a few times reading with each other, and it is so cute.
Colin is continuing with basketball this winter, and Blair does gymnastics year round. While I love them to try new things, I'm also careful we aren't putting too much on their plate during the school year. Colin has made a bunch of buckets and plays great defense, and Blair is never shy about celebrating herself at gymnastics.
Colin for sure thinks he's the coolest kid around. He writes about doing stunt jumps while sledding (which he does) and at a recent hair cut, begged for me to get some product so he could style his hair. He cruises through books, and is always eager to share the funny parts with us. He currently has a box filled with boxes and random other things from recycling that he calls his "invention station" - ready to be used when creativity strikes! And you know I love that artwork.
Blair will tell you she wants to be an animal doctor when she grows up, and sometimes she'll tell you she wants to be a hamster. So hopefully she falls somewhere in between. She also loves natural disasters and the human body, and spends lots of time flipping through age-inappropriate books, asking lots of questions like "what happens when you have no blood?" "when you don't have a brain, do you fall on the ground dead with your eyes open?"
Unlike his sister, Colin is not an animal lover.
I love winter, but we have had a few "false spring" days and I have to say I'm ready. Entertaining the kids when its cold but no snow is proving difficult, and I long for the days when they can go run outside without coats or shoes and just wild out. Never wish time away of course, but I've been itchy with garden planning as well. Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment