We had just returned from an awesome trip to Oklahoma to see cousins. I knew we had to get started on our letters to Santa to ensure the response got back before Christmas, so that was the first - of many - holiday projects we did!
The next magical surprise was the reindeer! I refused to do Elf on a Shelf (which probably would've killed me this year) so settled for my own reindeer version. He visits during the month of December and reports back to the North Pole each night and when he returns, he lands in a different spot each time. If he gives good reports, he could end up on Santa's sleigh team! The kids loved it!
This was the first year we cut our own tree. So much nostalgia for me on this adventure - except in my version there is snow! The whole process was pretty painless, and the tree turned out excellent.
Colin had his first (of two) holiday parties for his school; this one celebrated holidays from around the globe. Here's a nice candid of how our relationship works.
Our friend Becky had an ugly sweater party in the middle of the month, and it was SO much fun. I'm thankful all the time how well all the kids get along in this group. The older kids organized a concert for us, took money and gave us tickets and the kids sang Christmas songs. It was adorable.
NEXT (see what I mean about exhausting!!) we went on an inflatables adventure! I had seen this house that puts up 100+ inflatables so you know I wasn't going to miss it! The kids had fun and it was a nice change to just driving around looking at decorations.
Then we had Colin's second holiday party with his class. The amount of effort his teachers put into this party was extraordinary. So many crafts and they even sang us Christmas songs as a class. I will miss this program next year, until Blair goes in 2021!
We headed to Cleveland before Christmas this year so we could have more time with my brother, and have a chance to see some extended family. My Aunt Becky threw a great white elephant party, and had a hilarious race to make reindeer antlers!
While still in Cleveland, we went to a great park with nature center - Grandpa Doug told us how they have a bird hand-feeding area and we decided to check it out. You had to hold VERY still, but sure enough the chickadees will land right in your hand and eat the seed! Blair had to be removed from the situation due to noise levels, but Colin - that sweet kid held so still and was so determined to get a bird then finally! It happened! What an awesome experience for him.
Here is Blair in segregation
We left Cleveland on Christmas Eve, but not before Grandma could make some sticky treats with the kids!
We were SO close to the big day. We relaxed, took pictures in pajamas and put reindeer food out on the lawn...and waited.
CHRISTMAS DAY! The best day for a kid. Colin got to play Santa and pass out the gifts, and Blair was way more interested in the candy canes than her presents. We try so hard not to get them too many gifts, but it always seems like so much when I have to clean it all up! But worth it. So worth it.
We had been so busy this whole month that we really didn't do much else after Christmas. I took the kids to a Wizard of Oz game at a local library, and then our friend Sarah had people over for New Years Eve.
One tradition we always do is make cookies - this year I bought a cookie press and it was worth every penny. But...by the end of the month I had made probably close to 6-7 batches of cookies and I was pretty over it. Until next year!
Another one of my favorite past times is driving around to look at lights! Then, my sister in law Crystal told me about these glasses her Elf brought her from Home Depot that turn each light you look at into a hologram. They are AWESOME! I had to stop myself from driving with them.
As little snow as we had this month, we still made sure to go out as much as we could when it did snow! Blair has gotten much better at navigating her way through the snow, and Colin could have frostbite and still not want to go inside. Good thing mom isn't above a good bribe (hot chocolate).
I will save my comments on the kids until the next blog, since anything I wrote now might not be from actual December, but in short, these kids are a handful but so incredible. They show me something new about themselves each day, and I continue to see similarities and differences between them all the time. Such an exhausting, rewarding experience, this motherhood gig.



















































No comments:
Post a Comment