At Colin's school, each child has a special day; sort of like show & tell, but more about what the kid likes to do with his/her family. Colin's day was March 1st and we decided to do science experiments! Colin got a special star at school, got to hear what his teachers and I find so wonderful about him, and his friends got to ask him questions. It was so sweet and Colin loved hearing what others think make him great.
We did the science experiments - unfortunately only two went as planned (that's science for you) but the kids had such a fun time. One of the experiments was a gummy worm in vinegar and baking soda; it was supposed to dance but didn't. Each kid had their own, and their curiosity started to peak when Colin started eating his worm! A few others succeeded, some tried and couldn't stomach it, and others didn't even try at all. It was such a fun day!
I was so desperate for something new that I took the kids 45min away to a children's museum. I took Colin there when we lived in Battle Creek and it was super cool, so I figured it would be a great place to take both kids. Blair was a little young for most of it, but she really liked the light up wall. Colin enjoyed everything, especially the water current table. We met Dad for lunch on our way back home and it was definitely worth the trip.
Our next big adventure was an hour away but it was so worth it! It is this huge indoor play area - it is sort of hard to describe but it was amazing! They had a play area for big kids and little kids, but of course Blair did not like being relegated to the "baby" area so I had to Gumby myself into the big kid play area so she could be a big girl. It was clean and safe and the kids had a blast. They both fell asleep on the way home which usually never happens.
Next up! The St Patrick's Day parade! It was very cold that day so Blair and Dad spent most of the parade inside while Colin and I watched and collected candy.
I never need an excuse to celebrate a holiday, and admittedly I went a little overboard this St Patrick's Day. I really played up the idea of a leprechaun coming at night and playing tricks on the kids. He left streamers all over the house, and apparently Carlo scared him at some point and he pooped all over the living room (I used green peeps for the leprechaun poop). The leprechaun left some blarney stones again (plastic coin in baking soda & water) for the kids to dissolve in magic water (vinegar). He left a note and some leprechaun food for the kids. Colin loved the story but the poop was definitely his favorite.
I wasn't planning on it, but I dusted off the old bike and trailer and took the kids for a spin around the neighborhood. Poor Colin is really too tall for it nowadays, but he still had a fun time! Blair of course loved it as you can see; she just giggled and screamed the whole time. Once we get her a helmet we'll be biking a lot more!
I have no idea where the idea for this came from, but I took Colin rollerskating one day this month. He wasn't too sure about it at first, but once they brought out the limbo game he was more enthusiastic. They had a lady's skate and a gentleman's skate; he told me "It is for girls, you go mom, go skate" and when it was time for the guys to skate, Colin just went right out and did a whole lap by himself. Both the owner and owner's grandson commented on how well he did!
Cabin fever struck me on the last day of March so I made everyone load up and go for a hike. It was pretty cold, and I'm lucky that our kids don't seem to mind. Colin and Blair had fun exploring and being outside and you can never beat the fresh air.
I have been letting Colin have more TV/iPad time than I have in the past - typically only when Blair is asleep. I don't love it but it gives me some down time or time to finish up mom-activities. The screen time guilt still drives me to give them some indoor fun! I try to do science experiments or play games before screen time so he's not just zombied out for two hours in the afternoon.
We made a Ghostbusters mobile from a box!
As usual we also did as much outdoor activity as we could. I was so grateful to be able to just play in the front/back yard with them. You don't realize what a luxury it is until you can't (thanks WINTER). I am so looking forward to taking them to a playground once a day like we used to; it tires them out and again...fresh air is best!
Towards the end of the month, both kids had just had enough with the sickness and it really hit them hard. After being sick for so long and so often their little immune systems just couldn't anymore, and they were both miserable. Both kids had a stomach bug; Colin also had an upper respiratory virus and an ear infection - Blair had a cold virus that settled in her eyes and an ear infection. I kept them at home for over a week to give them plenty of time to rest and get back to themselves. At this point they are doing so much better, so we'll slowly be getting back into a routine.
I think these two finally have an understanding. They both really enjoy playing alone, but also play with each other every now and then. I have noticed that when one is doing something and the other tries to interrupt, they now know to just go somewhere else (for the most part). Their favorite part of the day is in the morning when they are both having milk and waking up for the day. Colin pesters Blair but now Blair also pesters Colin so it can make for some very long days. However, she still looks for him when he's not around, and Colin misses her when he's away; you can tell they love each other. I always tell Colin "You need to be nice to Saucy because she'll be all you have when Dad and I are dead." Morbid, but true.
Oh my Colin. I find myself repeating so much of what he does that is amazing, but he really is just full of funny, smart, kind, stubborn and threenager! He has such an imagination and loves to build things. Colin loves to take empty boxes and decorate them into something new (usually it is unpronounceable) and I love his creativity. I have also noticed that if I am frustrated or having a tough time, he will say "Mom, how can I help?"
Major bragging ahead: I had his conferences with his teacher, and she overwhelmed me with all the wonderful things she said about Colin. Even though he's at least 6mos younger than everyone else, he is on track or exceeds where their expectations are in math, social, comprehension and cognitive reasoning. She said he is the silly that keeps the classroom together, and is such a great friend. Also, she said that he tends to pick up intuitively if someone is having a tough day and will stay by them the whole day and encourage & cheer them up. He was out sick for a whole week of school and his teacher said so many kids asked "Where is Colin?" and really noticed that he was not there. It warms my heart to the fullest hearing all this. Of course we think he's amazing but to have a professional say these things is just overwhelming and I am SO proud of him.
He has been learning new sports in his class; he can get really discouraged if he doesn't make a basket/goal/catch etc. None of the other kids are just doing a stellar job, but he has such high expectations of himself that he gets disappointed easily if he feels he falls short. I try to encourage him to keep trying, that if you made every shot/goal/catch it wouldn't be fun. In the end he does try again and that's all that matters.
Certainly not to be outdone, is little Miss Blair. Where before we thought we had a chill, sweet, cuddly baby, we are now finding the opposite in our toddler girl! She seems to love getting herself into precarious situations and has a vicious mischievous streak. She is very vocal - one of her favorite things to do is flip through a book and read (incoherent babbles) and she is not quiet about it.
Actually, she's not quiet about anything! Blair is very clear in what she wants and will scream and cry if you don't give it to her or take it away. Thankfully she gets over it quickly. When she wants a snack (which is always) she will point to the pantry and when she's hungry she'll climb into her high chair. She certainly has an air of diva about her; as if we are here to serve her! I find it is harder not to give into her than it was with Colin when it comes to tantrums, but I have to be firm because I don't want her turning into a spoiled brat!
Don't get me wrong, she is sweet and is really developing a funny personality! Blair loves to give hugs and gives Chris kisses every night he gets home from work (even if she slaps him a few times before - make him earn it girl!). Blair is quick to smile and like Colin, she's happy to go on adventures and experience new things. She's pretty easy going around people and will walk up to anyone (strangers or not) and imply she'd like to be picked up. It isn't something I'll encourage when she's older but I'm okay with it for now.
When Colin has school I take her to open gyms or playgroups as much as I can. I love this time with her, and am so thankful to have it. I had lots of time to make memories just with Colin and now I can do the same with her too. Blair is fun to watch and doesn't has any type of separation fear at this point. She just toddles into a place and investigates what is has to offer.
That's all the bragging and oversharing I have for you this month - stay tuned to hear what I'll have to say next month!




















No comments:
Post a Comment