Dad took a half day, and met us at an indoor rock climbing facility in Kalamazoo. Colin was a little apprehensive at first because he was worried that he'd fall. Once he went a few times and knew Dad wasn't going to drop him, he got more and more brave. Watching him on the rock wall was just a metaphor for him continuing to grow up (and away) from us!
And of course he blew out the candles and had some delicious cake that he helped make.
I'm not sure how it ended up that Colin's birthday was the first time we went to a beach as a family this summer. We had planned on going to Lake Michigan but the dog decided to swallow a tennis ball and had to have surgery to get it out ($$$$). We instead went to a local lake by our house, but the kids didn't know any different. Colin had so much fun in the water, and Blair loved splashing around at the edge. Hopefully we can sneak in a Lake Michigan trip before fall comes along.
I loved going to the fair as a kid, and I want our kids to have fun memories of it as well, so while Blair was sleeping Colin and I headed out to our county fair. We got to see all the animals, and even ride some rides. He rode a mini roller coaster and just laughed the whole time. He also got to have a special fair treat: cotton candy!
We also managed to get ourselves to a nearby splash pad. We had been there once before and what I remember about it is that the water was frigid! This trip wasn't any different, but luckily both Colin and Blair had a great time. That is, until Colin hit his nose on the pavement and got a bloody nose (it was time to head home anyway).
Since Blair likes to sleep 10-12, we went on a few picnics once she woke up. Granted it is the hottest part of the day, but it there's always a breeze and a nice shady spot to enjoy lunch.
We met some friends at the outdoor nature playground. Blair got down and dirty in that sand!
We went blueberry picking last month, and this month we went peach picking! It was a clear, crisp morning and we were the only ones there so Colin had his pick of the orchard. We brought 7lbs home and froze most of it for baby food and special snacks.
Chris' boss has a stretch of 25 acres and invited Chris and Colin over to help pick some fresh vegetables. The fellas headed out and Colin got to ride a mule (which is actually sort of like a golf cart; I thought for awhile it was the animal!) and pick fresh vegetables. He had a pretty fun time and they came home with LOTS of fresh veggies!
What we picked from our garden didn't compare...one measly squash and a stumpy carrot.
I had to head back to our old town to do some tax paperwork, so I thought I'd swing by our old townhouse and see if Colin's buddies were around still. Some were, and Colin got to play a little bit and relive the good ol' days.
Colin got to do a science experiment this month too! I am totally slacking on that and need to do better, but life always seems to get in the way, or we don't have any vinegar because I use it like the Dad in "Big Fat Greek Wedding" uses Windex.
Colin had his dentist appointment this month, and he got an A+! How could he not when he looked so super cool? They both played in the kids room until the dentist came to do the final check, and Blair was loving it!
These two kiddos are still best buddies! Colin loves to make Blair laugh still and she of course obliges. I will ask Blair a question and he will say "Mom, she can't talk like you and me!" He was coaching her to crawl, saying "Come on sis, you just put your arms like this and moves your legs, you got this!" Colin is having some issues with sharing toys with her, and will rip a toy out of her hands if she's playing with it. Luckily she doesn't throw a fit over it, but I still try to explain that it makes her feel sad when he does that to her. He is always really excited to see her when she wakes up from naps, and when he hears her will look over and say "Sis is awake!" and run back to her room. I'm sure they will butt heads more often now since Blair is gaining more independence, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
Now, onto Colin. He does not nap anymore, which really feels like a death, and the transition out of daily naps was very trying at times. He would be fine until about 3-4pm and then he'd hit a wall and either a) turn into a psycho lunatic that just wanted to destroy everything or b) a whining, crying mess who freaks out if the blanket I gave him was too big or c) both. The major positive is that he goes to bed earlier and without much of a fight which is a big bonus. Colin is very strong willed and spirited, which can be hilarious and mind-numbing at the same time. He is SO smart, and continues to surprise me every day. I have noticed he's starting to learn step-by-step cause and effect. For example, he will say, first, we unscrew this lid; then we pour this in...etc.
Some fun Colin anecdotes:
- Over at Chris' boss' house, he came out of the bathroom and said, unprompted "I'm not supposed to say the F word."
- He has a dinosaur backpack for school, and he'll put it on and say "Okay mom I'm going to school, bye sis!"
- Colin said to me "You can get me orange juice, but not milk; milk makes me wobbly."
- Colin was laying down Blair's hair clips as "traps for those bastard squirrels."
- He got Alexa for his birthday, and when she kept saying "I don't have an opinion on that" he replied with "Alexa, you're a dickhead."
- Chris usually puts Colin to sleep because I'm with Blair, but one night I went in after to talk to him and he said, exasperated "Mom, I don't want to lay down but I also don't want my butt busted."
Last but certainly not least, little Blair. She is doing all the things this month - crawling, teething, fully sitting up, swinging in swings, applying for colleges, etc. And because of all those awesome new tricks, her sleep is all over the map. She was waking up once per night, usually around 2-230am but now she is waking up twice. Thank goodness she goes back to sleep but that coupled with the loss of Colin's nap really took a toll on me. She also takes a little longer to fall asleep because she can move around in her crib, not to mention she runs her pacifier along the crib slats like prisoners do with their cups in jail.
Blair's personality continues to develop, and she is a funny little girl. Where Colin is in-your-face funny, Blair is a little more reserved funny. When she is in the high chair, she will lay her head down on the tray until you look over at her, then giggle and sit back upright. Her brother is a dancing machine, but she's doesn't take a back seat to him. She will sit there and wobble side to side a la Stevie Wonder and get her groove on with him. Blair also loves the vents, and will crawl over to them and sit there while the a/c blows through her luxurious mane, and just laugh.
Carlo is still Blair's knight in shining armor. Poor dog had to spend time behind the baby gate in order for Blair to learn to crawl, because he was always getting in her way. She cries and he runs over to her to make sure she's okay. While most of the time I appreciate it, I also get frustrated with him, especially when he knocks her over or steps on her. I know it isn't intentional but...whenever it happens he gets some alone time. Carlo also lets her do whatever she wants; gouge out his eyes, eat his ears, pull his skin. He doesn't care, and he never walks away.
The real keeper of her heart is her Dad still. She lights up when he gets home from work and still wiggles and kicks her legs until he comes to grab her. She's also at her most chill when she's with him, unless of course he's making her laugh.
This is draining. Mentally, physically, emotionally - everything. At the end of the day I'm so tired of being clung to or asked "Why?" for the millionth time or having a soggy, stuffing-less duck thrown on my lap that once they are all asleep I am in a constant battle of whether to defrag and watch some mindless TV or just sleep. Without a doubt it is worth it though and it is only for such a short amount of time, I know I would regret it if I didn't stay with them everyday, despite the sacrifices Chris and I have both made. They drive me to the edge but also fill my heart so full I can't imagine what my life was like before them. So I'll hug them both tighter each day and continue to watch them grow.
















No comments:
Post a Comment