Sunday, October 1, 2017

Busybuysbusy!

From now on I think I will only inform the readers when months DON'T fly by, because at this point I think time is going by so quickly I'm standing still. This was another really busy month for us, which is always a great thing - but it doesn't show signs of slowing down in the upcoming months either!


Fall is my favorite season by far, especially in this part of the country. The days are still warm but there's that hint of chill in the air, everything is pumpkin, and there are fall festivals galore! I have such fond memories of visiting local farms during the fall growing up and I love taking Colin to enjoy with me. We never seem to have enough time available for all the adventures he wants to do, but he uses his time wisely. Pretty soon we'll be pumpkin pickin'!





 

This last weekend we went through a corn maze and got lost. It quickly become very un-hilarious because we didn't have a map but did have a tired toddler. I had to swallow my pride and call the farm and have them text me a picture of the maze! Over an hour later and the car was one helluva site to see.




We still have our usual outdoor fun when the weather cooperates. We went on a toddler nature hike where we looked for frogs (my anxiety was 100% while all the kiddos were laying on the dock searching for froggies)...




Disc golf (he is his biggest cheerleader, which is saying a lot because we are very encouraging)...


We visited the zoo again, which to be honest is just a $30 walking tour with a toddler. We lucked out though - the zoo was running an emergency drill at the cheetah enclosure so everyone on the giraffe overlook got free lettuce if we stayed put until the drill was over. Considering they charge $2 for a leaf of romaine lettuce I'd consider that right-place-right-time!



We don't have as many playgrounds available since school started, but we still have a handful to chose from and Colin loves getting out to climb, and is working on doing the monkey bars by himself!



And of course we have the neighborhood kids - I will really miss that once we move into our house. All the kids are so sweet and play so well with Colin, and to be honest I've come to rely on them a bit for some afternoon entertainment. 


 I've also been padding my arsenal with indoor activities for when cold winter weather officially arrives. I took him to a kids museum earlier in the month, not really expecting much but it was so awesome and Colin had a blast! They had such creative spaces for the kids to play and really paid attention to the small details, which makes it fun for parents too. Colin's favorite area was the bank - he loved working the window!











For those of you searching for ways to entertain your kids on a budget, check your local library! Ours has such educational and fun programs and while each one is different they are all free. We have been religiously attending the playgroup each week for kids 5 & under and Colin has a blast. But, as with anything toddler related there is trial and error, and I am currently 0-3 on trying to get Colin to enjoy story time. I think he just looks around at all the kids and is wondering why they are just sitting there when they could all be running around like savages.







Colin has always been really interested in what we're doing and wants to watch - I try my hardest to encourage it and have him help me out, but sometimes it can also be frustrating. He's really taken a shine to watching us cook - almost every night when I cook he scoots a chair over from the table and wants to help. He really likes helping Dad make eggies in the morning, and loves helping with the grill! The other day as I was packing I checked in on him in the bathroom and he was wadding up Kleenex, putting them in water and setting them on the counter: making "meatballs." I am in trouble with this kid.



 

The big event was Auntie and Kyle's wedding. Colin and I headed out early to spend some time with family that was in from out of town, and Chris met us on Friday after work. My parent's always made us do chores as kids, and apparently the grandkids won't catch any slack! Colin helped "fix" the lawn mower & leaf blower, mow the yard, and helped bring the leaves to the woods. Have to earn your keep!








Colin also loves spending time with his favorite dogs, Sadie & Maggie and I *think* they love spending time with him.


Colin also got to see a castle when we were in Cleveland - he loved running through it yelling and playing with the other kids there. Clearly he's comfortable with being royalty.





We had a lot of late nights and busy days, but Colin really did a great job. I was so worried he would be a complete terror at my sister's wedding and take away from the moment(s) but he did so well. He was the honorary ring bearer, and carried a sign that said "It's about to Get Real" and he did amazing; so amazing I almost cried at how cute he was and how well he did strutting down the aisle. Of course, I had Chris him right before that Grandma Karen had a sucker so once he saw her with it at the end of the aisle it was game over. He did great and earned that sucker! And really, if you can't bribe your own kids, what CAN you do?




I was bummed I didn't get a family picture since we all three never dress up to take pictures, but the ones below will have to do.





Colin also got to try his hand at a few different things at the wedding; professional dancer, bartender and DJ. He definitely liked dancing the best.


I love this child to death but he sure does wear me out in every way; physically, mentally and emotionally. Being pregnant doesn't make any of that easier, but neither will having a little baby sister to tote around too! It will be a learning curve for all of us when she arrives, but I know we'll still find ways to have fun and go on adventures together. I'll just need a bigger bag, octopus arms and extra patience!


















No comments:

Post a Comment