Thursday, September 1, 2016

Lucky 13 Months!

So how did your first month go without an update on my main guy Colin? It was honestly nice to have a bit more free time without the deadline of a Monday blog hanging over my head. I've been working on this entry for a few days so it wouldn't take me an hour to write once the 1st of the month rolled around. Nobody has time for that when you have this monkey on your hands!


Much of the second half of this month was spent preparing for Chris to go back to school, and for me to go back into work after Labor Day (terribledreadingitneedtoretirealreeady). Chris was able to schedule all his classes on Tuesday and Thursday, and my employer unfortunately requires all managers to come into the office at least two days a week. Monday and Friday I will be in the office while Chris stays with Colin, and Tuesday - Thursday I will be at home with Colin. It goes without saying I am not looking forward to going back to work, especially at the cost of not getting to hang out with Colin, but I keep telling myself that two days a week is better than five! I'm sure Chris will do a great job watching Colin solo, though I imagine there could be more pictures like this in their future.


I am so glad this is Chris' last semester - his schooling is one thing I can say assuredly that has not flown by for us! It has been a real struggle in a lot of ways, and we've had to put a lot on hold for him to chase this dream, but four years will seem like a short time when we're old and wrinkly and grey.

Colin and I still go to the playground every morning and some late afternoons/early evenings as well. Our options in the morning are a little more limited now that school has started, but there are still a few playgrounds that we can enjoy within 1-2 miles. Colin has actually learned a lot from playing at the parks; he's able to go up steps while standing, and is SO close to going down steps without holding onto my hand. Colin can also go down the slide as along as someone is there to catch him. But all his learning has come at a price, which includes several face plants, scratches and a few bloody lips. I hate seeing him hurt but I think it is the best way for him to learn what not to do. I love that he's able to play outside and we've been lucky that the weather has been decent enough as we roll into fall to make that possible.




 


In a recent post, I think I mentioned that we tried to take Colin to a splash pad, but had to leave due to lightning. The park closed on the 21st but we were able to sneak in one adventure and it was worth it - Colin loved it! At first he was overwhelmed because he didn't know what to do, but then he found his freedom and was happy as a clam. What else can we say, the kid loves water!


It was finally time to take Colin on his first hike a couple weeks ago - he's steady enough on his feet and has enough mobility to walk solo now, and I was so excited! We headed up to Lookout Mountain, which has a short trail and a nature center for his first outdoor adventure. We went into the nature center first - they had some taxidermied animals he could pose with, along with some things for him to look at and touch. He made quite a few laps making sure he touched and saw everything!


Then it was time to hike! It was a short trail (0.6 miles) but it took a solid 45 minutes for us to complete the loop, due in part to Colin's little steps, but mostly to his obsessive need to touch every rock, pine cone, stick, flower, weed etc that crossed his path. Admittedly it did start to weigh on my patience (i.e. "it is just a @#$^%& pine cone!!!!!!) but I let him explore as much as possible, while keeping in the back of my head the park closed at dusk.




We went on some more outdoor adventures, heading up to Evergreen Lake and their nature center, and a few trips to my garden plot. Evergreen Lake was great because it was a boardwalk and much easier for him to walk along than gravel. Colin had to greet everyone with his famous smile on the trail - just happy to be here folks!



In the last few weeks, Colin has also started some other interesting developmental traits, and I've provided an anecdotal story to each listed below.

Stacking Rings & Cups: this one seemed to happen suddenly! Colin had been figuring out that some objects can fit into others and back out again (for example, a ping pong ball can fit into a cup) but one day I pulled out the rings to see if he knew what to do and by goodness he did! Colin can stack them up and take them off then start all over again, which keeps him busy for at least 15 minutes. I'll take it as a win!


Mooching: I try to always plan when I eat around when he does since he's restrained in a high chair and I can actually chew & enjoy my food without having to worry if he's crawled onto the window ledge and fell out the window. In the few moments though when he is roaming free and I'm eating, I've had to accept that Colin's little phalanges are going to be in whatever I am eating. Whether it is yogurt, enchiladas, cereal, coffee, etc. If he sees it going into my mouth, he's got to have it. And he doesn't sit there patiently either - he will dive bomb into my food like a tiny savage and help himself. And that's not to say he's hungry - he eats plenty of food at his meals - he's just naturally curious about everything and food is just another thing on the list.


Tantrums: it started small: screaming for a bit when I put him into the stroller to head home from the park, but it has since escalated. Don't get me wrong, for the most part he's a pretty happy-go-lucky kid but when he's pissed out, hide your kids, and hide your wife because no one is safe. The doctor told us at his 12mo appointment these could start happening and not to play into them. But when Colin suddenly starts wailing at the top of his lungs because the pinwheel you're playing with isn't doing what he wants (whatever that is) it is hard to just wait it out knowing you have neighbors who likely debate on a daily basis whether to call child services.

There are days that are better than others, but as Colin continues to grow and become more independent, I realize how quickly it all has & will pass, and do my best to appreciate every moment for what it is - whether it is me telling him to "shut the %^&*$ up" in a sing songy voice, or laying on the floor watching cartoons while he lounges on me. Every moment is fleeting, so I just have to do my best to make the special ones into memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment